Food Defense Perspectives Within a Food Protection Landscape
It can be challenging to gauge the effectiveness of mitigation strategies that may have been implemented to prevent the intentional adulteration of food intended to harm consumers, because these malicious events are so rare. Within this session, the speakers will address the historical context of food defense, but, will focus on present state food defense activities intended to comply with the FSMA Intentional Adulteration Rule, and demonstrate how a food PROTECTION approach can help with simultaneously addressing food safety and food defense risks.
- Promote awareness of issues and demonstrate the need for collaboration in a noncompetitive environment.
- Discuss retrospective analysis of past events and successful mitigation strategies.
- Discuss best practices related to education and training to engender a sense of food protection.
- Hal King, CEO, Public Health Innovations LLC (PHI)
- Jason Bashura, MPH, RS, Senior Manager, Global Food Defense: Systems and Compliance, PepsiCo (PEP)