The Food Code- What It Is and What It Can Be
The nation seeks to achieve an integrated food safety system whereby there is seamless interaction between federal-state-local food regulatory agencies, done in collaboration with industry to achieve a nationwide reduction in foodborne illness. This session will address a range from scope to application of retail food safety policy and its relevance to the reduction of foodborne illness. From its origins in the FDA Food Code to adoption and implementation of the Food Code by state and local regulatory authorities, to examples of its application at the operational level in retail food establishments.
- Understand the relationship between the FDA Food Code, State and Local food safety regulations, and the inspection process by state and local regulatory agencies of retail food establishments.
- Recognize the relevance of complete Food Code adoption as a tool for achieving nationwide food safety.
- Understand what the FDA Food Code is and how its application by state and local food regulators and industry retail food establishments impacts nationwide food safety.
- Glenda Lewis, M.S.P.H. Director, Retail Food Protection Staff, FDA
- Daniel Tew, REHS, Manager, Food Safety and Regulatory Affairs
- Hsing-Yi Hsieh, MS, RS, Food Safety Director, Skogen's Festival Foods